2 days – 3 days plus POE if learner’s are to be assessed
|SAQA US No.||Title||NQF Level||Credits|
|13948||Negotiate an agreement or deal in an authentic work situation.||4||5|
This course is targeted at persons who conduct labour negotiations and provides participants with a basic understanding of the principles, strategies, tactics and techniques of negotiating. Emphasis is placed on planning and case preparation and conflict handling and negotiating techniques aimed at achieving win-win agreements.
The course is highly participative makes use of 3 DVDs featuring typical South African labour negotiations. All participants are given an opportunity to prepare and participate in a role play negotiation appropriate to their needs (i.e. wages/retrenchment/dispute resolution).
- The qualities of a good negotiator.
- The principles of power and how to analyse power in bargaining relationships;
- The importance of developing a working relationship with the other party;
- Bargaining conventions;
- How to structure a negotiating team;
- How to conduct an expectation test, including breaking issues into their elements and determining key principles;
- Determining long and short term negotiating objectives;
- Identifying and using common ground;
- Determining bargaining limits, a BATNA and concessions;
- Negotiating a realistic mandate;
- Pre-negotiating conditioning and the opening moves;
- Conflict mapping;
- Developing a negotiating strategy and plan;
- Questioning to establish interests, opportunities and common ground;
- Effective listening;
- Behaviour labelling;
- How to handle pressure and disruptive tactics
- Various conflict handling and negotiating techniques;
- Closing the negotiation and face saving;
- The Agreement – where things go wrong
- Finalising and communicating the agreement to stakeholders.