|SAQA US No.||Title||NQF Level||Credits|
|11286||Institute disciplinary action.||5||8|
|114226||Interpret and manage conflicts in the workplace.||5||8|
Shop stewards and other employee representatives.
The course aims to provide shop stewards and employee representatives with the practical functional skills so as to be able to best represent employees in their daily dealings with management and in handling disciplinary and grievance cases.
- Legislation that governs labour issues.
- LRA and BCEA requirements pertinent to discipline and grievance issues in the workplace.
- Freedom of association, organisational rights and the Recognition
- Unfair labour practices and grievances.
- Functions of Bargaining Councils and CCMA, Labour Court and LAC in dispute resolution;
- Procedural and substantive fairness in dismissals;
- Code of Good Practice v internal disciplinary procedure;
- Definitions of dismissal, constructive dismissal;
- Definitions of employee – LRA, BCEA, TES;
- Leave Regulations and other BCEA terms in contracts of employment.
- Assisting an employee in corrective phases of disciplinary procedure
- Procedural requirements;
- Identifying a troubled employee;
- Formal referrals.
- Investigating a disciplinary incident
- How to conduct an investigation;
- Analysing charges and developing a strategy;
- Interviewing and preparing witnesses;
- Preparing for cross-examination;
- Preparing opening statement and closing argument.
- Assist an employee in a disciplinary enquiry
- Disciplinary enquiry procedure;
- Leading the case for the employee;
- Cross-examination of witnesses;
- Closing argument;
- Mitigation, lodging an appeal.
- Grievance and dispute procedures
- Grievance procedure;
- Dispute Procedure.
- Handle an employee complaint and represent an employee in a grievance hearing
- Listening, questioning techniques and basic conflict handling and negotiating techniques;
- Evaluating a complaint, determining a desired outcome and getting a mandate;
- Case Presentation and negotiating an acceptable outcome.
Interested in Shop Steward Functional Skills? Contact us here.